Did you know that Buddha was married? Before he jilted his wife and child (named Rahula, which means "fetter" ... and not in an affectionate way) to get his spiritually enlightened, venerated-by-millions-throughout- the-ages freak on. Much like the Odyssey's poor, neglected Penelope**, the whole spousal abandonment aspect apparently gets in the way of an otherwise rousing tale, so it doesn't get a lot of ink.Yeah, so I'm taking a class on feminism in Buddhism with the women at Sh*m. Fascinating stuff. And after spending most of my week correcting sentences like "Does the America have the more delicious KFC as Chinese?", it's a somewhat startling relief to hear earnest discussions about how androcentric histories inform modern life.
If I wasn't completely in love with these girls before, I certainly am now. These are girls who have been continually told by everyone they've been raised to respect (their parents, their older brothers, the monks) that women should be quiet and unassuming and leave the decision making to the menfolk. And they're not just leaving their villages to pursue higher education -- already enough of an affront -- they're also going back to those villages, facing down the criticism and trying to get the people to accept their help and leadership. Some of them, especially the younger ones, are so shy it seems actually painful for them to speak, even in a group of their own peers, but they're choosing this path anyway.
Which, in an only mildly related tangent, brings me to what I have decided is the current greatest threat to the next generation of young American women: the Twilight series. You know the one, that paean to patriarchy and the helpless-female genre, that ode to abusive teenage relationships, that celebration of the notion that a century of feminists got it wrong after all, and women really should give up everything (from their friends to their actual humanity) for their man.
(Alright, so I read them. Don't you judge me. It's been a long few months without any mindless television to take the edge off, and I had a few weak moments ... And anyway, I'm not saying every last book should be burned, just that they should be a controlled substance. Like alcohol. No killing off the impressionable brain cells of anyone under 21.)
Anyway, I recently ran across this video, which should be required viewing for anybody who reads the books:
** Except for in Margaret Atwood's totally worthwhile "Penelopiad," which retells the story from her perspective.
I recently finished the series myself and was just as appalled at the themes and "lessons" taught in those books. I never thought that Stephanie Meyer would "go there" with all the BS she threw into the last book, but man did she ever throw in everything but the kitchen sink.
ReplyDeletePedophilia, abstinence before marriage, young parenthood without responsibility (isn't it convenient that Bella never once changes a diaper? parenthood is SO fun and easy!) instant gratification, irresponsible relationship decisions, and of course - happy endings for all.
I agree that this isn't a series I would want my daughters to read until they're old enough to "know better" than to buy into the hype and the psycho Mormon "life lessons." I was just telling Brian that if I'm so affected by the series as a 25 year old, I can't imagine how devastatingly addicted the teens must be. As cheesy as the writing is, it's effective in making readers FEEL in love with a person who doesn't and will never exist. It definitely doesn't help that they've branded the franchise with Robert Pattinson, who now has to bear the burden of psychotic fangirls everywhere he goes for the rest of his life.
Sigh. Twilight is taking over the world, one female reader at a time :P
I've never read any of those books (natch) and I still loved that video. Freaking hilarious. Also making me think I should have appreciated that new flick "Jennifer's Body" a little more for just the rage factor. Really loved this post, Brooke. Eye-opening.
ReplyDeleteThat's right, I forgot about the pedophilia!
ReplyDeleteSigh. I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed.
Brooke, I want you to know that I have done my part in trying to squelch the whole Twilight mania. It hasn't been an entirely successful crusade, however. I've lost track of all the ninth grade girls that I've plaintively asked, "But have you SEEN Buffy? Each and every one looks at me like I've just asked them to watch old reruns of Leave It To Beaver or I Love Lucy. It's a new generation out there, kiddo, and it isn't looking good for Buffy.
ReplyDeleteFYI, this blog site continues to thwart my efforts to post as anyone but anonymous. I guess you know its me, though. Love, Mom
B: 1,000 yuan for knowing and using the word androcentric! Buy yourself a meat bun. (How much is 1,000 yuan anyway? Did I just tell you to buy a mansion with, like, a dime?) I've read two of the Twilights. Hey, I had time to kill on disability leave while waiting for the kid to pop out. They were no Harry Potter...
ReplyDelete