Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Q&A: This American Life

I finally set up the Web site where we'll be posting the students' questions about the finer points of American culture (and let me just warn you now, the questions run the gamut from 'What do you think of the current global financial crisis?' to 'Do you think Michael Jackson is really dead?').

I've posted about a dozen questions already, with many more to come. So if you don't see any interesting questions this time around, never fear, we're slowly working our way through my 200+ students.

There are a couple of questions that I'm hoping to get several responses to, so I can put together a little presentation. There's a question about what Western weddings are like (and I can think of, oh, at least half a dozen of you who have recent experience in that department), so both photos and a description would be great. There's also a question about Chinatowns in the U.S. -- again, photos would be fantastic, in addition to a video response.

A huge thanks to all of you who volunteered to help ... and to those who didn't, don't worry, I'm assuming you're just so excited about the prospect of participating, you're at a loss for words.

You can record your response directly on Facebook and send it to me, or you can email it to me.

Thanks again! They're all very excited to hear from you.

6 comments:

  1. omg omg Pleeease let me call dibs on Elsie's question about Western weddings. We're in the process of planning our wedding now and would love to share basic details like the budget, timeline, traditions and expectations. Let me know if you're interested because Brian is totally excited about being on a vlog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flo, my dear, that would be fantastic. Plus, I'll get to hear how the wedding plans are coming! Elsie is actually working on her thesis about the differences between Chinese and American weddings, so she is really excited to hear all the details. Thank you so much!

    b

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll snag a bunch of S.F. Chinatown photos this weekend and send them to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will you have access to video streaming sites like vimeo.com in class where I can post a full-on video? If not, how big of a video file can you handle? How long of a response are you thinking of? Uncle Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uncle Jeffrey! How the heck are you? Internet in the classroom? Surely you jest. What if the kids - er, young adults - were accidentally exposed to some uncensored information?

    But if you post to vimeo or youtube or something like that, I can grab it with Zamzar. As for length ... Whatever you got is good - anywhere from 30 seconds to 30 minutes!

    Hope you're all well, and give my love to Aunt Sarah and my cousins,

    b

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you going to tell them about your experience as a flower girl?? LOL

    ReplyDelete