Friday, September 4, 2009

Notes from the classroom

<--- Look at me, being all teacher-y!

Finished my first week of classes, and if I never hear the words "lesson plan" again, it will be far, far too soon. I've also decided that the answer to all future questions about the finer points of grammar is: "Because that's the way we do it in America. That's why." (Kidding. I think.)


Some highlights from the week:

  • After the students introduce themselves, I have them guess things about me. I was told frequently that I must be from France (Oh! The bitter irony. Is there a people more disagreeable than those baguette-lovers? And my students aren't the only ones: Several taxi drivers have guessed that I hail from that wasteland of goodwill and civility. I think I've got to stop wearing scarves. And no, I don't still bear a grudge for my shabby treatment after being robbed of all my worldly possessions at a Paris train station 12 years ago. Why do you ask?), that I seem like an admirer of romantic movies like Gone with the Wind, and that while I strike them as lamentably unmarried, they are sure that I have a very handsome boyfriend.
  • Most of the students have English names that they are either given, or pick themselves. Among my favorites: Water, Lincoln (after the 'very great American president'), and ABC.
  • I gave the kids a survey to find out more about their English level (and to avoid having to do real work). Under 'what job do you want when you graduate,' one student put "the rich man." Another, slightly less optimistic student put: "Resign oneself to god's fate."
  • Under "other comments," a number of students offered to go shopping with me. I'm not sure whether to take that as a gesture of friendship, or an indirect commentary on my wardrobe. (I swear I was dressed appropriately, Mom. I brushed my hair, and everything.)
  • And finally, there was "Carl," who wrote: "i like your pronounces. besides you are beautiful." It's too early to say for sure, of course, but I have a feeling Carl is going to ace this course.

5 comments:

  1. Well, of course, with the survey thing. What teacher doesn't use that as a strategy to avoid those awkward opening days. I have several stacks of them myself, that I haven't gotten around to reading yet this year.

    And....for the record....I never for a moment considered that you weren't appropriately dressed. Thanks for the reassurance about having brushed your hair, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those kids sound amazingly perceptive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i just read the line about the kid putting "resign oneself to god's fate" and made an awekward chortling laugh sound in my silent office and now it's uncomfortable

    kind of makes me want to go back to china, just to observe all this!

    (it's molly by the way does that show up anywhere?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, B! Don't you love it? I have a student who plans on being "an umemployee" when he graduates. Sad! I also have a soon-to-be multi-millionaire :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brooke, Brooke, Brooke, you so make me smile. I feel like I am there with you!

    ReplyDelete