So she's this giant ball of bouncing puppy love. Except there are two small caveats.
One, she has a deep-seated hatred of monks. She's a lamb with small children, sighs patiently when the students swarm over her, is trying desperately to make friends with the town's donkey population, and is actually frightened by cows. But when she sees a monk, she lunges like a frothing maniac. A bit tricky, given that I live on monastery grounds, and an estimated 50 percent of the population in this town are of the monastic persuasion.
And second: Unfortunately, it turns out that people in Tib*t are terrified of dogs. Here, they're kept not so much kept for cuddling and long walks on the beach, but to protect hearth, home, harvest and livestock, and hence bred to go for the throat. So when I walk down the street with the pup on a leash, little old women dive out of the way, children squeal in terror and grown men yelp and duck into doorways. She parts the crowds like a canine Moses; just walking her down the street feels like a small act of terrorism, like taking King Kong out to stretch his legs in downtown Tokyo.
In other news, given my currently precarious situation, I'll just say problems persist: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/23/world/asia/23china.html
(I knew we shouldn't have shown the kids that movie about those plucky villagers in India who overthrew their British overlords.)
I am totally thrilled that you now have a canine companion, despite the terror she has instilled in your hometown. What's her name? My Sheltie has a nasty habit of attacking nativity scenes, which is unfortunate during the holiday season here in suburbia.
ReplyDeleteIt's great that your students are standing up for their right to preserve their language and culture, and I hope that their efforts are recognized instead of punished. I will continue to look for updates on this story.
OK. So I'm sure that I will be in for some criticism here for not jumping on the canine love fest bandwagon, but I just want to be sure that I've been perfectly clear about the fact that no more animals are coming to live in this house unless I personally acquire them. Right?
ReplyDeleteBrooke!!! A DOG??? I'm so happy for you. Much cuter than a yak - and probably somewhat less smelly. Hope all is normal in the land of the permanently odd. Miss ya. When are you coming home to visit?
ReplyDelete