Went from just about perishing from hypothermia on a raft trip down the River Li in Yangshuo one day to baking lobster style on the beaches of Sanya the next.
After Chengdu, I met up with Beth and her friend Morgan in Guilin, famous for its karst -- lump-like rocky hills that look like something out of Lord of the Rings. (I've seen the karst once before, in Cuba. They're very dreamscape-y.) We spent several freezing, rainy days staying in a Dutch f
Then on to the VIA conference on the island of Hainan, an utterly bizarre tropical resort-ish place that has absolutely no business belonging to China and suffers from a severe split personality as it struggles to decide whether to cater more closely to Chinese tourists (who every single one dress cult-like in absolutely matching head-to-toe Hawaiian prints) and Russian tourists (who I assume account for the otherwise inexplicable prevalence of fur coat shops on this, once again, tropical island).
It's the first (and probably last) time that all 11 China volunteers have seen each other since we left the Nanjing training six months ago, and there's an odd comrades-in-arms feeling to the reunion.
For those of you just dying to know more about my fellow vols and what we've been up to this year, our program director filmed this video of each of us when she toured our posts in the fall.
VIA China Director's Tour of Post from Anjali Mutucumarana on Vimeo.
Bu Bu?! Oh, I am so calling you that from now on.
ReplyDeleteSigh. I never signed off on that nickname, it just kind of took on a life of its own. I'm really hoping it doesn't get imported back to the US. Although ... possibly preferable to the chicken squawk Brawk.
ReplyDeleteBrawk...Brawk...Bryant Bryant Bryant! Hehe. That still cracks Bencs up. :D
ReplyDelete